Register
It is currently Wed 23 Sep 2020 5:41 am

Yesterday's annual meeting?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct 2018 6:39 pm   

Will someone please report on yesterday's meeting.
In particular what was said about the new guest certificates.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct 2018 9:06 am   

I was at the meeting and talked some board members about the GC. It was by far the most talked about topic at the meeting.

My personal opinion I don't like them, are they needed, or useful, I think so (yes). Will it cause me to change my bookings habits, yes. Will it cost me extra money, not if I watch what I do and how I add guests names to reservations.

A lot of factors and options that make the club better for us as members leave a lot of options that people who want to take advantage of the system can. Who is taking advantage of the system, the average owner doesn't know. We just see that we can't book the units we want, but can find they are being rented somewhere else online.

My take is the people most affected by this will be people who have smaller accounts. Using different methods of making reservations to save their credits, and make a lot of short reservations for friends and family.

There were so many other situations discussed it's hard to address, but if you have a particular question I might be able to answer it.

Birch Bay x2, Gleneden x7, Surfside Inn x14, Depoe Bay x16, Mariner Village x3, Discovery Bay x5, Seaside x27, Rancho Vistoso x3, San Francisco x3, Pismo Beach, Marina Dunes x2, Angels Camp, Orlando - Kingstown Reef x2, Daytona Beach - Ocean Walk, Seattle - The Camlin x6, St. George x5, Lake of the Ozarks, Branson, Las Vegas – Boulevard x3, Long Beach x2, Leavenworth x2, Trinity Links, Cairns, Sydney Suites, Victoria x2, Schooner Landing, Las Vegas - Spencer Street, New Braunfels, West Yellowstone, Runny Y, Eagle Crest x3, Phoenix x2, Deer Harbor, Kihei, Kapaa, Seventh Mountian resort x2, Anaheim, Mission Valley San Diego, Solvang CA, Reunion FL,

Club Pass: WYN Royal Garden Waikiki

Exchange: Star Island resort, Nepean Country Club, Historic Powhatan resort

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct 2018 11:14 pm   

Hearing key BoD members speak so forcefully about commercial renting was the big takeaway for me. John and Cecilia both made the comment that we need to take back control of our inventory for members. I was glad to hear they recognize a big problem facing the Club and are focused on solving it.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 7:01 am   

Mike Brown (President, CEO Wyndham Vacation Ownership) said that last year, and got applause.

Little did we know they had $100 non-refundable fees in mind.

Get ready for more $$$ pain.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 8:01 am   

Maybe I've missed something, but I thought that the GC was only charged when a unit was booked for a guest (non-owner). Friends, co-workers and family members that stay in units are non-owner occupied units, just as those that rent units are non-owner occupied.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 8:47 am   

Given that the GC does not have to be applied until the last minute, that it is non refundable seems a issue solved by owner education. In a perfect world it would be refundable - in keeping with the Club’s long standing core policy that reservations cancelled within the Club guidelines are penalty free.

It is a question I am honestly wondering about since the next BoD is in Austin, and I am planning on attending. That the GC is non refundable seems like a minor issue, while the precedence it sets may not. But not sure I want to devote my 5 minutes of owner time to that topic.

Back on on-topic, was the entire BoD at the annual meeting? I don’t recall hearing Linda H mentioned during the webcast. Did she go into the witness protection program?

Last edited by ecwinch on Sun 21 Oct 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 8:50 am   

ecwinch wrote:
Hearing key BoD members speak so forcefully about commercial renting was the big takeaway for me. John and Cecilia both made the comment that we need to take back control of our inventory for members. I was glad to hear they recognize a big problem facing the Club and are focused on solving it.

Hmmm, interesting ...”take back inventory for members “ and yet they are promoting to rent to non-owners on Wyndham extra holidays.. maybe I’m too dumb to see what’s going on!

WM Resorts Visited: Whistler-Cascade Lodge, Whistler-Sundance, Canmore-Banff, Vancouver-The Canadian, Victoria, Birch Bay, Deer Harbor, Discovery Bay, Marina Village, Long Beach, Leavenworth, Lake Chelan Shores, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, Seaside, Schooner Landing, Eagle Crest, Mission Valley, Dolphine's Cove, Rancho Vistoso, Daytona Beach, Coral Baja, Fiji, Rotorua, Kap'aa Shores, Kihei, Kauai Beach Villas

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 9:46 am   

The more they take back, the more they can rent?

That is a joke, at Wyndham's expense. :P

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 9:08 pm   

I am convinced the biggest impact of Guest Certificates is going to be income to Wyndham. I think the negative impact to owners will far outweigh any increased availability from reduced rentals. If people really are booking week-long periods 13 months out, it would be pretty easy to spread $99 over 7 days. The problem is giving relatives a couple of days to enjoy the benefits of your vacation accomodations.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 9:29 pm   

sheinpdx wrote:
I am convinced the biggest impact of Guest Certificates is going to be income to Wyndham. I think the negative impact to owners will far outweigh any increased availability from reduced rentals. If people really are booking week-long periods 13 months out, it would be pretty easy to spread $99 over 7 days. The problem is giving relatives a couple of days to enjoy the benefits of your vacation accomodations.

With AirBnb, people are advertising "dynamic inventory" for short stays at our resorts. Basically you request to book the dates you want, and the Airbnb host checks to see if the dates are available on the WM website and then accepts your booking request. The guest fee will put a serious crimp in those type of rentals.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct 2018 4:57 pm   

drguy wrote:
Maybe I've missed something, but I thought that the GC was only charged when a unit was booked for a guest (non-owner). Friends, co-workers and family members that stay in units are non-owner occupied units, just as those that rent units are non-owner occupied.
I don't think you are missing anything. As stated during the meeting, a "guest" is a person who is not a WorldMark account owner (i.e. one of two names allowed on each account).

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct 2018 5:30 pm   

ecwinch wrote:
Back on on-topic, was the entire BoD at the annual meeting? I don’t recall hearing Linda H mentioned during the webcast. Did she go into the witness protection program?

I saw Linda Hindebrant mingling with owners prior to start of the meeting. She was present.

She was not on the "line-up" for the Q & A session, nor was Robert Hartsock.

I was pleased to see that the Q & A session this year was again done in the presence of all attendees, in one room, and made a part of the webcast.

For the past 2-3 years the Q & A sessions have been held after the meeting, in break-out rooms, and not available to webcast viewers or even those at the annual meeting (i.e. each room had its own Q & A session with various Wyndham executives & BOD members moderating the various session) with various answers to questions...not good, my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct 2018 7:22 pm   

Thanks Gary.

I agree - it was good to be able to view the Q&A on the live stream.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 6:36 pm   

TahoeGary wrote:
ecwinch wrote:

I saw Linda Hindebrant mingling with owners prior to start of the meeting. She was present.

She was not on the "line-up" for the Q & A session, nor was Robert Hartsock.

I was pleased to see that the Q & A session this year was again done in the presence of all attendees, in one room, and made a part of the webcast.

For the past 2-3 years the Q & A sessions have been held after the meeting, in break-out rooms, and not available to webcast viewers or even those at the annual meeting (i.e. each room had its own Q & A session with various Wyndham executives & BOD members moderating the various session) with various answers to questions...not good, my opinion.

Gary, just got around to watching the Web Cast today. I agree, it was nice to see the Q&A as part of the web cast and in one room. Though, I prefer them to take it from the audience rather than pick and choose which questions they want to answer from their cards.

Have stayed at too many to list. As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 6:42 pm   

ecwinch wrote:

Eric, I was glad to hear that too. They did make it sound like the GC were put in place to negatively affect rental abuse along with collecting revenue. Previously, I had heard they were just stating it was for collecting revenue. I can stomach the GC much easier if it has an impact on short weekend rentals. As you know, I am so against making a rental business out of our club. Happy they are at least paying attention to the complaints of owners about rental abuse.

Have stayed at too many to list. As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!