Register
It is currently Mon 30 Nov 2020 12:35 am

Friends want to gift us their membership

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov 2020 5:38 pm   

Hi,

I haven’t been on in a long time. I’m a WM owner since 2001. We have 7,000 annual points. We rarely travel to WM properties, but enjoy trading into Marriott Hawaii with II. Today I received a call from elderly friends. They’re not traveling anymore and asked if we’d be interested in taking their membership. They have 9,000 annual points. I’m on the fence. Very generous offer, but my husband is disabled now and between that and Covid, we’re not going much. But! My husband would like too, thinking our adult kids will also use it as well. I’m not very WM savvy. I just do the basics. Neither are my friends. Can anyone tell me how we’d go about this? What kind of transfer fees we’d be looking at? Will they just combine it into our current account? I want to be a little prepared before calling.

Thank you,
Jenn

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov 2020 7:24 pm   

Always make sure your children want to take these fees on. Many children do not.

Also check with your "elderly" friends as to when they bought this account. If it was purchased before June 30, 1991, it could be a very special account, known as a grandfathered non Housekeeping account. Combines always need to have that older account remain the main account.

OR. Think about keeping two accounts. Extra HK token, and more ability to book bonus time, extra wait lists and you could maybe add a child to that account. Only two names per account.

You can combine for $299 via Titles, offices in Florida.

I'm sure others will pipe in.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov 2020 8:43 pm   

Thank you. I did check with my adult kids. I guess I didn’t have to refer to them as elderly. They’re late 80’s and that’s why they no longer use it, or really understand how to sell it. But, heck I’m 60 and probably know less than them. Thank you for the heads up on the before 91, no housekeeping purchase. I’m really not sure how long they’ve had it. I’ll find out. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov 2020 12:50 pm   

The nuts and bolts:
You can combine the 2 accounts or keep them separate. There are advantages to both. Check out this thread:
https://wmowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18996.
If you combine into one account, you might end up with 2 categories of credits. You likely have WM+A credits which are credits from accounts in place before 2006 and allow you to book into Wyndham properties. If the other account is post-2006, they will show up as WM credits without access to Wyndham props. Since you use your credits for exchanges, the designation won't make any difference in your usage.
If you want your kids to use the account for WM stays, then you will want to pay close attention to the new rules on Guest certs and overlapping reservations. Essentially, you will end up paying an extra $100 (guest cert fee) for any reservation not in an owner's name. You can have 2 owners on the account. This is an excellent reason to choose keeping the second account separate and possibly in your kid's name. It is easy to transfer credits between accounts if you need more credits for exchanges.

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs, Welk Northstar. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit, Crestwood, Surfside, Marriotts Summit Watch.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov 2020 7:07 pm   

Sue, that’s an excellent link. Thank you so much.

Jenn