Register
It is currently Sun 05 Jul 2020 6:41 pm

Drawbacks of renting credits?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020 1:04 pm   

Hello

I'm new to the forum and fairly new as a timeshare owner. I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, but what are the drawbacks of renting credits? It seems like a much cheaper and more flexible option than buying more points from a developer or even a private party. Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020 3:25 pm   

As long as you rent from a reputable source there are zero drawbacks of renting credits.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020 4:34 pm   

Awesome. Thank you for the response. I did see that there are scammer issues, so that's definitely good to be on the lookout for. I suppose it's worth paying a little extra to be sure in an instance like that.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun 2020 10:30 pm   

There are some minor drawbacks.

You need to watch the expiration dates, especially when you are renting expiring credits.

Credits shuffle, First in First Out, so if you rent often, you have to manually track in which reservation which credits are in.

If you have No Housekeeping account, the rented credits need to pay for housekeeping.

If you have a Travelshare or WM+A account, the rented credits may or may not have WM+A or Travelshare status.

At one time, renting credits, with the same expiration date as you annual credits messed up the credit shuffle. I don't know if they ever fixed that.

You are limited to rent in and out 2 times your annual credits. Sometimes you are at your max and you forget and credits, which you are counting on, doesn't show up.

While you are able to rent credits, you are not able to transfer the housekeeping tokens with them. While you are probably still getting a good deal, you will want to factor in the housekeeping fees on your eventual reservation.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Estancia, Indio, Las Vegas Spencer, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), San Francisco, Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (3) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta (2), Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(4), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Northstar Lodge(6) Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resorts North and South RCI: DVC Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun 2020 5:20 am   

Welcome to WMOwners.com!

There’s an “ introduce yourself” thread if you’d like to tell us a little about how you decided upon WorldMark, and how you found us. What area do you live in? What’s your closest resort?

The Rental of credits is a great benefit to both parties.

We’re in the San Francisco East Bay Area.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2020 2:56 pm   

@atom
Thank you for the detailed response. That's a lot of things that I hadn't considered. haha.

@javanite
Thank you for the welcome. I'll have to make my way over there and do that.

@all
I am definitely confused about the timing of points. For instance, could I rent points today and then book something 13 months out with them tomorrow? Is it possible that they would expire during that 13 months? I bought my membership second hand and I'm definitely not as educated as I probably should be on the rules. Is there a resource that you might suggest?

Honestly, at this point, I'm having trouble just using what I have. I've already had 2 separate weeks this summer get cancelled (the previous owner had two year's worth of points), rescheduled them, and received a phone call that one of them will be cancelled (don't know which one yet...) So frustrating!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2020 4:47 pm   

oliveiracj6 wrote:

@all
I am definitely confused about the timing of points. For instance, could I rent points today and then book something 13 months out with them tomorrow? Is it possible that they would expire during that 13 months? I bought my membership second hand and I'm definitely not as educated as I probably should be on the rules. Is there a resource that you might suggest?

Honestly, at this point, I'm having trouble just using what I have. I've already had 2 separate weeks this summer get cancelled (the previous owner had two year's worth of points), rescheduled them, and received a phone call that one of them will be cancelled (don't know which one yet...) So frustrating!

Thanks again!

Credits are good for 2 years from when they were awarded. That stays with the credits so any you rent in will have different expiration dates than the ones you have in your account. Expired credits can be kept in a reservation for 13 months which extends the useful life of your credits for another year. You can't transfer expired credits from another owner.

There is a lot to learn. The best way is to just dive in. Ask questions as you go along and we can coach you through the process.
With all the cancellations, a lot of owners will be looking to book a lot of vacations. If you see something you might want, book it. You can always cancel later, but that time may disappear.

Sue

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs, Welk Northstar. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit, Crestwood, Surfside, Marriotts Summit Watch.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2020 5:58 pm   

The credits in your account most likely have the same expiration month.
Credits have a 25 month life. 2 years plus all the way to the last day of the anniversary month.

If you have credits expiring in Aug 2020, you may use them through Aug 2021, as long as they stay "locked up" in a reservation. If that reservation needs to be cancelled, do it during business hours, and immediately rebook the credits into another reservation (even if it is a dummy.)

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2020 11:16 am   

Is there a WM fee for the transfer of rental credits? Can't remember..? Thx!

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2020 11:41 am   

mambo#5 wrote:
Is there a WM fee for the transfer of rental credits? Can't remember..? Thx!

No. Not yet. I assume the online form will be used.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach, Reno, Discovery Bay. Spencer Street, Leavenworth, Melbourne.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Family Castle, Bali Hai, Dyserth Falls Resort, Haven Court, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife, Club Paihia, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants France, Royal Regency France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu, KBC, Hono Koa, Orleans at 519 Frenchmen Street, Cabo Azul, Modern Honolulu.
Newly planned and Reserved: