Register
It is currently Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:59 pm

2018 Board of Directors Election Results are out

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2018 1:02 pm   

DenMar wrote:
ecwinch wrote:
or that few if any candidates actually have an achievable platform they are running on - instead they just lazily roll out the "Wyndham is evil" platform and expect that will carry the day. Terrible platform! It only gets you the most votes of any non-WYN supported candidates.

As author Malcom Gladwell once observed, “what got you here, won’t get you there”.

It really is fools gold. Sure it racks up the voters that hate Wyndham. But it also turns off those people who actually feel the Club is well run and enjoy their membership. Because it offers no plan or substance on how to address the problem. If Myle is elected, does that cause Wyndham to change anything people hate about Wyndham? To be less evil? If not, then why vote for him or even vote at all. Maybe what you mistake as apathy, is just apathy with the messaging.

If any activist candidate is ever going win, they need a message that that appeals to more people.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2018 2:18 pm   

ecwinch wrote:
DenMar wrote:
ecwinch wrote:
or that few if any candidates actually have an achievable platform they are running on - instead they just lazily roll out the "Wyndham is evil" platform and expect that will carry the day. Terrible platform! It only gets you the most votes of any non-WYN supported candidates.

As author Malcom Gladwell once observed, “what got you here, won’t get you there”.

It really is fools gold. Sure it racks up the voters that hate Wyndham. But it also turns off those people who actually feel the Club is well run and enjoy their membership. Because it offers no plan or substance on how to address the problem. If Myle is elected, does that cause Wyndham to change anything people hate about Wyndham? To be less evil? If not, then why vote for him or even vote at all. Maybe what you mistake as apathy, is just apathy with the messaging.

If any activist candidate is ever going win, they need a message that that appeals to more people.

We completely agree on that. I think a candidate, activist or not, that runs next election on a pledge to address Guest Certificates if elected will get a lot of votes.

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno, Havasu Dunes: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land, Park Royal Ixtapa

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2018 3:49 pm   

I think the broader message should be that owners (me at least) are disgusted with year after year changes (club rules, by-laws, etc.) all touted to make the club better. Each year WorldMark drifts farther away from the product I purchased in early 2003.

I would like to see, as one example, how the club has saved money by multi-year contracts (a "vote for the new by-laws" pitch at the time). I doubt we owners will ever see that kind of detail...unless someone happens to attend a BOD meeting, the subject is discussed, and reported here.

As Eric suggested, apathy among members of our club is rampant. So it is in our Federal election process. Many people do not vote.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2018 4:59 pm   

The inherent danger in messaging is that we have a cognitive bias toward messaging that resonates with you.

But what if your views are not the issues that resonate with the broader membership?

Most of us that frequent WMO are very knowledgeable users. Are the issues that resonate here the issues that most members care about?

And as footnote to Dennis's point about GC - I would be cautious about focusing on that issue. For what happens if right before the ballots go out they make changes to that policy?

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2018 7:09 am   

ecwinch wrote:

And as footnote to Dennis's point about GC - I would be cautious about focusing on that issue. For what happens if right before the ballots go out they make changes to that policy?

If wyndham made all the changes I wanted to protect their control of the club, I would consider that just as big a victory as having a member controlled board.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019 9:16 am   

But who did WMOwners vote for?

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019 4:45 pm   

jrjewett wrote:
But who did WMOwners vote for?

In the 2018 WorldMark, the Club election WM Owners, Inc. voted:

100% of "undirected" proxies for Mr. Myle Hammond.
100% of "directed" proxies for the candidate(s) directed by the owner (as the result of having submitted a ballot form).

WM Owners, Inc. is probably the largest proxy holder outside of Wyndham or our WorldMark Board of Directors. Year after year, WM Owners, Inc. has been unsuccessful at electing any candidate because:

1. Only about 1/3 of WorldMark owners participate in the annual election process thereby allowing Wyndham and our Wyndham dominated WorldMark Board of Directors to vote a huge block of votes for their favorite candidate (s) from unsold developer owned vacation credits...combined with proxies assigned to our WorldMark Board of Directors by (likely uninformed) owners, has provided the voting power to elect Wyndham's anointed candidates.

2. Owners do not understand that it is better to assign their proxy to WM Owners, Inc. and NOT VOTE (do not submit the ballot form) . Let your proxy holder do that on your behalf. If you "vote" (submit the ballot form) you are directing the proxy holder how to cast your votes; and many owners do not understand that all votes can be voted for ONE candidate. Do not spread/dilute your vote>. Do not submit the ballot form.

3. Trust in WM Owners, Inc. as your proxy holder. Assign your proxy to WM Owners, Inc. Do not "VOTE".

4. WorldMark, whether unintentionally or intentionally, has made the process of assigning your proxy to anyone other than WorldMark's Board of Directors more complex than is needed. This will not change without another lawsuit...my opinion. Wyndham does what they want to do unless otherwise directed by a court; my opinion....kind of like changing the direction of Facebook if you have been following the news on that subject.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019 7:54 pm   

jrjewett:
Welcome to WMOwners.

You do realize hat this is last year's election results post? The candidate that WMOwners backed for the previous 2 - 3 cycles, Myle Hammond, is not running this year.