Register
It is currently Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:57 am

2018 Elections

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018 8:41 am   

DenMar wrote:
Got the latest owner election communication email today and all I can say is WOW! :shock:
Nice letter by Carol Webber.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:10 am   

Thanks Bizaro.
I had never heard that term.

Yes, Slorah was complaining about resorts in Hawaii not having air conditioning. (I avoid any resort that doesn't have it.)

WILLIAM SLORAH
Website & Resort Quality

Hello - We have been members since before TrendWest and we love WorldMark. It's been said that we're the only people who actually love their timeshare. That said, we still would like to see:
An android app.
Access & the ability to work with my waitlist online.
Resorts in Hawaii without air conditioning? Really?!
No offense intended, but have you ever heard of mini splits?
We'll still love worldmark - just putting in my “2 cents”
Suzanne & Bill Slorah

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018 2:46 pm   

Are mini splits like the ductless A.C. Units you see in the living area at Kihei?

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach, Reno, Discovery Bay. Spencer Street, Leavenworth, Melbourne.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Family Castle, Bali Hai, Dyserth Falls Resort, Haven Court, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife, Club Paihia, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants France, Royal Regency France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu, KBC, Hono Koa, Orleans at 519 Frenchmen Street, Cabo Azul, Modern Honolulu.
Newly planned and Reserved:

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018 3:22 pm   

geist1223 wrote:
Are mini splits like the ductless A.C. Units you see in the living area at Kihei?

Yes. However, there would be a conduit with 3 lines - electrical, refrigerant, and drainage from the evaporate/fancoil to the condenser.

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2018 10:05 pm   

DenMar wrote:
Got the latest owner election communication email today and all I can say is WOW! :shock:
Usually, WYN throws in, near the top, a few pro WYN and/or BOD emails. Not this one. Maybe they didn't get any? I find that a little surprising since we have a few WYN devotees here? :-k

I do not see anything different than in previous years. There are the perennial posts about increasing maintenance fees and lack of availability. No candidate offered their solutions.

The complaints this year in the Election Communications about guest certificates are no different than the complaints about the HK transfer last year or the bylaws complaints in 2016. 90% of the Elections Communications each year voice some kind of complaint about the current Board of Directors. Has it ever made a difference? Did Robin Miller's email make a difference? (What a waste of time and money.) Did Bill Pearse's mailing supporting Wyndham and the BOD make a difference? (No, voter participation went down from the previous year). Did Myle Hammonds email make a difference? (No, voter support was down year-over-year).

Communicating with other members does not seem to be the problem. Maybe it is the anti-Wyndham message that does not resonate with members who vote, because it starkly contrasts with their vacation experience. The fact that the updated bylaws passed might be an indicator.

The anti-Wyndham rhetoric certainly contrasts with the first-rate WorldMark vacations my family enjoys. Just one data point.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2018 8:16 am   

The difference is that people like yourself didn't submit an email praising WYN and the BOD for their selfless, hard work in managing our club and keeping costs down. :roll:

Unfortunately, the anger at WYN and the BOD isn't by enough people or sustainable to get real change. Just like the 18 million people that watched the video of the Weather Channel "reporter" faking being blown around by a hurricane. Nothing will change in the media either. :(

If we could just get the Kardashians to talk about it! :P

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno, Havasu Dunes: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land, Park Royal Ixtapa

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:32 am   

you are a funny guy Denny :D

Purchased original resale points late in 2008 after I retired. Added more in 2010. Added second account in 2014.

EXCHANGES - Too numerous to mention. We use most of our points for exchanges - something that is well worth spending some time learning.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:36 pm   

DenMar wrote:
Unfortunately, the anger at WYN and the BOD isn't by enough people or sustainable to get real change.

Finally, a factual observation.

There are certainly enough owners upset about the guest fees who are posting on the Election Communication email and the Owner-to-Owner board. Will it make a difference in this election? If not, why not? Communication with other owners is definitely not the problem.

Only 1/3 of WorldMark owners vote. Non-incumbents can double-up on their support using cumulative voting. The WM Board always splits their undirected proxies -- three ways last year. It should not be that difficult to start real change, if real change is what owners want.

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2018 5:52 pm   

Simply put - We owners are the frogs, WYN is the chef with the pot of water.
You, my friend, are one of the frogs telling the rest of us that there is no need to panic and just enjoy the nice spa. :(

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno, Havasu Dunes: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land, Park Royal Ixtapa

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep 2018 10:07 pm   

DenMar wrote:
You, my friend, are one of the frogs telling the rest of us that there is no need to panic and just enjoy the nice spa. :(

I assigned my undirected proxies last year to wmowners.com, so you do not need to worry about this particular spa-soaking frog. Still have not decided for this year.

Sticks and stones and all that; call them what you may, but owners who are “uninformed” or “spa-soaking frogs” or “bribed by sweepstakes” control some serious voting power. Enough to re-elect incumbents and independent Directors. Did you notice that the three current independent, never affiliated with Wyndham, Directors received the three highest vote totals in the last election? As I recall, more than 80% of owners who voted in 2016, voted to pass the restated bylaws, and that was enough to overcome the voter apathy and reach the 25% threshold for all owners. THAT is some serious voting power.

I do not know if the majority of owners see the same things I do, but they definitely do not see things the same way you do.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep 2018 9:05 am   

1nceBurned2wiceShy wrote:
As I recall, more than 80% of owners who voted in 2016, voted to pass the restated bylaws, and that was enough to overcome the voter apathy and reach the 25% threshold for all owners.

The new bylaws may turn out to be the death knell of our beloved WM the club. Wyndham is squeezing we owners like a python in my opinion.

Purchased original resale points late in 2008 after I retired. Added more in 2010. Added second account in 2014.

EXCHANGES - Too numerous to mention. We use most of our points for exchanges - something that is well worth spending some time learning.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep 2018 8:54 pm   

DenMar wrote:

I assigned my undirected proxies last year to wmowners.com, so you do not need to worry about this particular spa-soaking frog. Still have not decided for this year.

Sticks and stones and all that; call them what you may, but owners who are “uninformed” or “spa-soaking frogs” or “bribed by sweepstakes” control some serious voting power. Enough to re-elect incumbents and independent Directors. Did you notice that the three current independent, never affiliated with Wyndham, Directors received the three highest vote totals in the last election? As I recall, more than 80% of owners who voted in 2016, voted to pass the restated bylaws, and that was enough to overcome the voter apathy and reach the 25% threshold for all owners. THAT is some serious voting power.

I do not know if the majority of owners see the same things I do, but they definitely do not see things the same way you do.

You are correct, thus my frog analogy above. The vast majority of owners are apathetic at best. It will be interesting to see if the vote totals go up the next 2 years after the latest WYN money grab? The guest cert. won't affect me, just my friends and family. Good idea from WYN for their sales. They are master marksmen if their feet are their target. #-o

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2018 8:20 pm   

tquayle wrote:
As I recall, more than 80% of owners who voted in 2016, voted to pass the restated bylaws, and that was enough to overcome the voter apathy and reach the 25% threshold for all owners.

The new bylaws may turn out to be the death knell of our beloved WM the club. Wyndham is squeezing we owners like a python in my opinion.

Please enlighten us where the restated bylaws are any different than the old bylaws to the extent that it "may turn out to be the death knell of our beloved WM the club".

Please enlighten us where the restated bylaws allow the BOD to "squeeze" owners in a way that the old bylaws did not allow.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2018 8:49 pm   

Please enlighten us where the restated bylaws allow the BOD to "squeeze" owners in a way that the old bylaws did not allow.

2shy -
It has been my experience that the WM I purchased 10 years ago has gotten a lot more expensive to use and a lot less easy to book things I would like. The continuing "nickle and dime ing" is getting to be a pain. That is JMHO.

I'm glad that you are happy with the system.

I will continue to tolerate it until I've had enough. My Dad used to say "you' could get used to hanging if you didn't break your neck first".

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:42 am   

tquayle wrote:

2shy -
It has been my experience that the WM I purchased 10 years ago has gotten a lot more expensive to use and a lot less easy to book things I would like. The continuing "nickle and dime ing" is getting to be a pain. That is JMHO.

I'm glad that you are happy with the system.

I will continue to tolerate it until I've had enough. My Dad used to say "you' could get used to hanging if you didn't break your neck first".

Tom - other than the rule that leveled the playing field - what rule change has had the greatest impact on your usage of your WM membership?

I dont disagee. To some degree timeshares are always subject to the law of diminishing returns. It is just a question of when.

We roughly became owners about the same time. When's your neck break?