Register
It is currently Wed 05 Aug 2020 10:38 pm

Next election ballots cast ?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017 5:23 pm   

Did we once more get the shaft from the board controlled by Wyndham, or am I reading this wrong?
This was in newest email from board...

Q. With the new voting system, do I now get one vote toward a Member-Only candidate and one vote that must go to a different individual who will be designated as an At-Large candidate?
A. No, as mentioned above, and as provided in Section 9.7 of the Club’s Election Systems Policies and Procedures (ESPP), eligible voters as of the Record Date are entitled to cumulative voting for electing directors to the Board. Owners may cast all of their votes for one candidate, or vote for separate candidates.
End of email...

Is this how it will work ?
Next election 6 people run for 3 seats- 3 run for member only- 1 runs for developer spot which Wyndham hand picks and 2 running for at large spot..

One of the at large is Wyndham encouraged or employee candidate - other is backed by members..

If I read this correct Wyndham expends 1 vote for their chosen candidate for developer seat.. he wins..
for the at large they mass all their votes for Wyndham picked at large candidate .. along with any that are proxied to board..

Now we're in worse shape than before as members will now be splitting our vote between 3 running for member position or use them to vote at large spot against Wyndham candidate.

The voting for board, member and developer seats should be totally separate from at large seats..

Am I reading this wrong ? Input appreciated.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017 6:01 pm   

This is exactly what I had warned people about when the bylaw revisions were up for a vote last year.

The best the owners can do is attempt the same in reverse: vote as little as possible for the members-only election and dump the rest of the votes into the at-large election. But then the dilemma is possibly not getting the members-only candidate you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resorts visited:
WorldMark: Solvang, Lake Tahoe, Angels Camp, Running Y, Depoe Bay, Big Bear, Marina Dunes, Reno, Wolf Creek, West Yellowstone, Havasu Dunes, Santa Fe, Grand Lake, Steamboat Springs
Club Wyndham: Grand Desert, Angels Camp, Flagstaff, Old Town Alexandria, Governor's Green, Great Smokies Lodge, Smokey Mountains, Kingsgate
Other: Club Tahoe, Glacier Wilderness Resort, Vacation Village in the Berkshires, USS Constellation, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, Camp Lemonnier (Djibouti)

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017 9:24 pm   

This is a surprise? Think not. Who wrote the Rules? How much input did real Members have in drafting the channges?

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach, Reno, Discovery Bay. Spencer Street, Leavenworth, Melbourne.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Family Castle, Bali Hai, Dyserth Falls Resort, Haven Court, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife, Club Paihia, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants France, Royal Regency France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu, KBC, Hono Koa, Orleans at 519 Frenchmen Street, Cabo Azul, Modern Honolulu.
Newly planned and Reserved:

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2017 7:17 am   

geist1223 wrote:
This is a surprise? ?

you are a funny guy Tom!

Purchased original resale points late in 2008 after I retired. Added more in 2010. Added second account in 2014.

EXCHANGES - Too numerous to mention. We use most of our points for exchanges - something that is well worth spending some time learning.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2017 7:42 am   

A few here at WMO's have been sounding the WYN alarm for years. Often to be called extremists or irrational hatemongers with nothing but wrong theories. As these worst case scenarios come true over and over, those same people still think we are the problem. :(

I haven't posted any WYN "hate speech" for a while. It is a waste of time. :?

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno, Havasu Dunes: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land, Park Royal Ixtapa

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2017 4:04 pm   

It's ironic from the sense that when I pointed this out last year, it lead to the discussion of votes vs voting power. That each acct is still only receives one vote for each position they were eligible to vote for, and there was no way to distribute your voting power differently than your vote.

So tell me how Wyndham is going to assigns their two votes in some way that gives them any more power than they held before?

One vote (i.e. Half their voting power) will go to the developer only seat and one vote (half their voting power) will go towards the at large seat. Same as before.

I guess you could speculate that they could cast both votes for the at large seat and no votes for the developer seat.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2017 4:07 pm   

Wyndham would only have to cast 1 vote for the WYN seat, no? It's not like there will be multiple candidates for that seat. Then all the rest of their votes can be applied to the at large seats, either to guarantee one, or to attempt to take both.

From the owners point of view, does a candidate specify whether he's running for the at large seat or for the member only seat?

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2017 4:19 pm   

The conclusion reached last year was no. You only receive one vote for each position you are eligible to vote for. And each vote you cast has the voting power determined by your credits divided by the avg credit size.

So with my 20000 credits I receive 2 votes, and each vote has a voting power of 3.

So I can either cast 1 vote for two candidates or 2 votes for one candidate, but I cannot split my voting power differently from my vote and give 1 to one candidate and 5 to another. My voting power follows (portionately) how my vote is cast - 3 for each cast vote.

I know we have people here that understand this in greater detail. Perhaps they will jump in.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017 8:42 am   

javanite wrote:
Wyndham would only have to cast 1 vote for the WYN seat, no? It's not like there will be multiple candidates for that seat. Then all the rest of their votes can be applied to the at large seats, either to guarantee one, or to attempt to take both.

From the owners point of view, does a candidate specify whether he's running for the at large seat or for the member only seat?

In the upcoming election, each membership and the Declarant will be able to cast two votes. Members may combine both votes for either the Members-Only candidate or the At-Large candidate, or the member may split the votes and cast one vote for Members-Only candidate and one vote for At-Large candidate.

The multiplier is then calculated according to the account size to determine the total votes cast for the selected candidate(s).

At the end of 2016, the Developer held about 92.5 million credits. The average account size this year will be a little over 15,000 credits, if past years' trend holds. The Declarant's multiplier is determined by dividing total held credits by the average account size. That will mean the Developer will have about 6160 total votes per vote cast. If the Declarant casts both votes for one candidate, that candidate will receive 12,320 total votes. If the Declarant casts one vote for Declarant-Only candidate and one for At-Large, each candidate will receive 6160 total votes from the Declarant.

The Declarant can't cast 1 total vote for Declarant-Only and the other 12,319 votes for the At-Large candidate.

What this means is that the incumbent running for the Members-Only seat will have about 6,160 fewer votes to count on, and any non-incumbents be about 6,160 votes closer to being elected. The challenge for non-incumbents will still be to change undirected proxies into votes for non-incumbents.

Last edited by 1nceBurned2wiceShy on Sat 17 Jun 2017 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017 8:51 am   

ecwinch wrote:
And each vote you cast has the voting power determined by your credits divided by the avg credit size.

That is how the total votes for the Declarant is calculated.

For Members, the vote "multiplier" is calculated by dividing the total account size by 5,000. A 20,000 credits account will have 2 votes and a multiplier of "4", so 8 total votes to be cast for one candidate or 4 total votes for each of the Members-Only and At-Large candidate.

Members cast only the two votes. The election Tabulator calculates and applies the "multiplier" to determine the total votes for the candidates.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017 11:52 am   

Shy - thanks for that input. There is only pt I thought was different , and that is average acct size calculation. My understanding is that they average acct size is (total credits / no# of accts) and the number (~15,000) you are using is average owner acct size - which does not include the developer acct.

Also the OP raised the point on FB, that the developer voting power in the past had been allocated amongst all the candidates - so could be again. The record on this site indicates that the developer vote has never been allocated - only the individual proxies assigned by the BoD. In fact I seem to remember a post that the developer historically had not cast votes in the election, and only started doing that when the proxy campaign started.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017 2:58 pm   

Has the lineup for the specific positions (other than numbers of candidates) been announced yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resorts visited:
WorldMark: Solvang, Lake Tahoe, Angels Camp, Running Y, Depoe Bay, Big Bear, Marina Dunes, Reno, Wolf Creek, West Yellowstone, Havasu Dunes, Santa Fe, Grand Lake, Steamboat Springs
Club Wyndham: Grand Desert, Angels Camp, Flagstaff, Old Town Alexandria, Governor's Green, Great Smokies Lodge, Smokey Mountains, Kingsgate
Other: Club Tahoe, Glacier Wilderness Resort, Vacation Village in the Berkshires, USS Constellation, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, Camp Lemonnier (Djibouti)

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017 4:55 pm   

ecwinch wrote:
Shy - thanks for that input. There is only pt I thought was different , and that is average acct size calculation. My understanding is that they average acct size is (total credits / no# of accts) and the number (~15,000) you are using is average owner acct size - which does not include the developer acct.

Also the OP raised the point on FB, that the developer voting power in the past had been allocated amongst all the candidates - so could be again. The record on this site indicates that the developer vote has never been allocated - only the individual proxies assigned by the BoD. In fact I seem to remember a post that the developer historically had not cast votes in the election, and only started doing that when the proxy campaign started.

The Developer held credits are excluded from the average account size calculation, but I do not know the exact calculation. For anyone who wants to run some numbers

As of Dec. 31, 2016
Total credits = 3,585,477,600
Credits held by Developer = 92,489,60
(Source: 2016 Auditor's Report)

Number of members reported at the October, 2016 annual meeting = 226,289

Bylaws
Quote:
3.38 Voting Power. The aggregate votes of Memberships, including Declarant. For purposes of
assessments and Voting Power, Declarant shall be deemed to hold the number of Memberships
determined by dividing (the unsold or reacquired Vacation Credits) by (the average number of
Vacation Credits per Membership held by Members other than Declarant), as adjusted periodically.
Declarant's "Memberships" shall each be deemed to consist of the average number of Vacation
Credits per Membership held by Memberships other than Declarant.

Something not directly spelled out is if the Developer "Memberships" are divided by 5,000 credits to determine the multiplier. Looking at past Developer voting power, I think this is the case. This would mean that the Developer will have about 6160 X 3 total votes per vote cast. That will mean about 18,500 fewer votes for the Members Only incumbent putting any non-incumbent about 18,500 votes closer to being elected for the Members-Only seat. This could get interesting.

The Developer voting power has been reported for some election results, but I don't think it was ever reported how the developer votes were cast.

The Developer has only two votes to allocate. There is no "massing" of Developer votes. Under the new bylaws, the Developer can't vote for the Members-Only candidate, so the Developer can't allocate votes to all the candidates.

The undirected proxies held by the BOD will probably be split evenly between the incumbent Members-Only and the incumbent At-Large candidates, assuming Bob Morrison and Cecilia Cuevas run for re-election. How do the incumbents decide who will run for the Members-Only seat that does not receive any Developer voting support?

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun 2017 3:23 pm   

Question? It looks like if we are NOT going to be at the election we are required to vote by proxy. How do I choose a proxy that will look out for our member services?

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun 2017 4:15 pm   

Hi mckuz
Welcome to WMOwners.com -- how did you find us?

That's one of the missions of this forum. We collect proxies. We review the ballot measures and support a candidate each year.

Please assign your proxy to WMOwners, Inc.
email: wmproxies@gmail.com
phone: enter your own phone number

Please send copy of confirmation to wmproxies@gmail.com