Register
It is currently Wed 23 Sep 2020 8:57 am

Fires and the West

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 9:06 am   

Ever since we've been owners I've been more aware of the fires in the West each year. It seems like this year is so much worse than usual! I read an article today that said that fires may continue for some time still because of dry conditions and high winds.

Today is our last day to cancel our trip we booked 13 months out. I really want to go to Gleneden next month if conditions allow. How do you decide if you should keep your reservation or just cancel? I would be ok if they moved us to a different resort if Gleneden happens to be closed. However, I really don't want to go if the air is dangerously smoky even if the resort is open. Has anyone had experience with a reservation during the fires before? If you have a reservation for next month, what are you choosing to do?

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 9:54 am   

For Gleneden in a month; I'd keep it. There should be multiple rain storms between now and then and the fog/moist air will return and get the coastal fire under control. The smoke coming up from CA will be a concern, but in a month, that too should be better. If it is still bad, call WM and ask about it. They may let you cancel without penalty. If not, I'd bet somebody else would pick up the reservation.

Sue

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs, Welk Northstar. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit, Crestwood, Surfside, Marriotts Summit Watch.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 10:10 am   

Thanks, Sue! That's what I was thinking until my sister contacted me last night and wondered if we were still going next month with all of the fires. We've been to the coast, Oregon and California, around the same time for the last 6 years and haven't had any issues. It just seems like this year is so much worse than previous years and my sister questioning it got me questioning it too.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 12:23 pm   

We are in Salem. The smoke is still bad but less orange. The air is unhealthy to breathe. But we are suppose to get rain Monday night or Tuesday morning. Also the winds have shifted from the East to the West. This will help. Also increase in humidity and cooler in the Willamette Valley. There can always be new fires. I believe they are getting ready to reopen Lincoln City as soon as they have restored power.

I would not cancel. We did cancel our November trip to Seaside. But that is because we are not ready to be around people who we do not know and do not know how careful they are in their habits. This is the 4th trip we have lost this year: Windsor in April; Vancouver in June; Hawaii in September; and, now Seaside in November.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach, Reno, Discovery Bay. Spencer Street, Leavenworth, Melbourne.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Family Castle, Bali Hai, Dyserth Falls Resort, Haven Court, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife, Club Paihia, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants France, Royal Regency France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu, KBC, Hono Koa, Orleans at 519 Frenchmen Street, Cabo Azul, Modern Honolulu.
Newly planned and Reserved:

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 2:22 pm   

geist1223 wrote:
We are in Salem. The smoke is still bad but less orange. The air is unhealthy to breathe. But we are suppose to get rain Monday night or Tuesday morning. Also the winds have shifted from the East to the West. This will help. Also increase in humidity and cooler in the Willamette Valley. There can always be new fires. I believe they are getting ready to reopen Lincoln City as soon as they have restored power.

I would not cancel. We did cancel our November trip to Seaside. But that is because we are not ready to be around people who we do not know and do not know how careful they are in their habits. This is the 4th trip we have lost this year: Windsor in April; Vancouver in June; Hawaii in September; and, now Seaside in November.

Thanks for the info! I'm sorry that you weren't able to keep your trips! We were really nervous to travel too since my daughter is high risk. Her doctor told us to go and have fun, but be careful. We were most nervous about stopping to use the bathroom along the way. We tried to find truck stops with multiple restrooms, wore our masks, and got in and out as quickly as possible. We were at McCall the end of June, beginning of July (we checked out on the 4th). We didn't go into town for browsing or touristy stuff, just grocery shopping. We mostly did outdoors stuff and exploring. We rented kayaks on Thursday instead of Friday since we knew it would be less crowded. Overall we had a great trip and are looking forward to going back when we can explore the area more.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 3:49 pm   

We just left Depoe Bay and are now in Seaside. Both towns are hazy, and air quality is unhealthy. However, I don't smell smoke when I'm outside. The view is certainly not what it normally is, but in a month, it should be very clean. The Otis fire just east of Lincoln City had closed Hwy 101 until this morning, so fortunately we were able to head up the coast to Seaside instead of out to I-5 and back.

You probably know, but I switched from Gleneden to Depoe Bay when I heard the access to the Gleneden Beach has washed away, and is closed. So you don't have access to the beach there. But plenty of nice beaches in the area - Fogarty, Boiling Bay (whales), Ona, etc.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 3:54 pm   

In addition to beach access being closed (cliff erosion), the pool and jacuzzi have been drained.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2020 5:48 pm   

Thanks for the heads up! I am aware of the erosion and pool situation. I read on Facebook that you can access the beach by heading north up to Stevens street. It's supposed to be less steep than the state park access. I don't think that Depoe Bay has opened it's pools yet either due to covid? I was hoping that we could use the pool there, but if neither is open then it's not an option. We stayed at Depoe Bay 2 years ago and we rarely saw people at the pool that time of year. We only saw 2 other kids there besides mine. Unfortunately, we saw a lot of dogs that trip. We did book Gleneden this time for the beach though. If we can't access it then we'll drive to a different beach. Depoe Bay doesn't have anything available for the time that we need it now.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Sep 2020 1:44 pm   

For what it's worth, I just checked into Seaside last night. Was told we should not open windows because it can set off the smoke alarms. My room was stuffy, hot, and smelled like a mixture of burned microwave popcorn and wet dog. It was beyond foul. I almost went back to the front desk to ask for my Monday Madness money back, but I forged ahead because I was tired and it was late. A little bit later, I discovered the dishwasher clearly hadn't run correctly (or at all), because the soap pod was still behind the closed door and the dial was set to "start". BUT there were no dishes in there, so clearly the dishwasher was unloaded and the unsanitary dishes were put away!!!!! The next morning, I discovered the last renter's used coffee grounds and filter were left in the coffee pot and they didn't supply any new filters to the unit. Makes a person wonder how careful they are about cleaning / turning over these rooms - especially in Covid times.

I Macgyvered an air purifier with a box fan and a high MERV air filter. It seemed to help a bit overnight (or my nose got fried from the putrid odor and I went nose-blind). In the morning, I talked to management about all of this, and they were going to run an ozone machine to try to deal with the stench (with me staying out of the room for several hours).

I spent the prior 3 nights in a dumpy Astoria motel until my reservation date, and the dumpy motel (Riverwalk Inn) didn't stink from the fires. I don't know if the stench in this unit was from the wildfires or poor cleaning, or both. Yuck. I guess I'll know more when I go back later today. Hopefully the ozone machine works because I have many MANY days ahead of me here.

Anyone else currently at Seaside? How foul does your room smell?

Worldmarking since 2007 on aftermarket credits :) Arrow Point, Birch Bay, Camlin, Discovery Bay, Lake Chelan, Leavenworth, Long Beach, Ocean Shores, Seaside, Angels Camp, Clear Lake, Indio, Eagle Crest, Yellowstone, The Lake House, Vancouver BC, Windsor

PostPosted: Mon 14 Sep 2020 3:15 pm   

I would have been calling Owner Care last night or this morning. I would have squatted out side of the GM's Office until I was given a clean sanitary room. I would strongly suggest that the House Keeping person that supposedly cleaned the room be terminated as well as the person that supposedly inspected the room after it was declared clean.

If the Resort is having problems hiring House Keeping Staff than the GM should be cleaning rooms.

If you get a post stay survey be specific and brutally honest.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach, Reno, Discovery Bay. Spencer Street, Leavenworth, Melbourne.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Family Castle, Bali Hai, Dyserth Falls Resort, Haven Court, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife, Club Paihia, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants France, Royal Regency France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu, KBC, Hono Koa, Orleans at 519 Frenchmen Street, Cabo Azul, Modern Honolulu.
Newly planned and Reserved:

PostPosted: Mon 14 Sep 2020 3:38 pm   

Oh you know I will be brutally honest. They gunna get an earful.

Worldmarking since 2007 on aftermarket credits :) Arrow Point, Birch Bay, Camlin, Discovery Bay, Lake Chelan, Leavenworth, Long Beach, Ocean Shores, Seaside, Angels Camp, Clear Lake, Indio, Eagle Crest, Yellowstone, The Lake House, Vancouver BC, Windsor

PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep 2020 6:57 am   

I live in Roseburg, Oregon. The smoke has been horrible but the end is in sight. Gleneden should be fine next month. Enjoy!!!

Gleneden Beach,Depoe Bay,Seaside,Running Y,Eagle Crest,7th Mountain,Lake Chelan,Leavenworth,Canmore,Vancouver, Arrow Point,Long Beach,Mariner Village,NV-South Shore,Angels Camp,Bass Lake,Clear Lake,Marina Dunes,Pismo,Oceanside,Indio,St. George,Phoenix,Kihei,Kapaa,Valley Isle,Kona,Windsor,Las Vegas Blvd,Daytona Beach,Kingstown Reef,Isla Mujeres
Marriott's:
Maui Napili Villas & Ocean Club,Waiohai,Ko Olina,Timber Lodge,Grand Chateau,Newport Coast Villas,Cypress Harbour,Ocean Pointe,Aruba Surf Club,Phuket,Desert Springs l&ll,Canyon Villas,OceanWatch
Other:
Villa Del Palmar Flamingos & Cabo,Berkshire on the Ocean,Whaler On Kaanapali,Westin Ka'anapili & Nanea & Princeville & Lagunamar,Hanalei Bay Resort,The Cliffs Club,The Bay Club Waikoloa Beach,Polo Tower Suites,Four Seasons Aviara & Scottsdale, The Banyan Resort,Charter Club Naples Bay,The Royal Islander & Caribbean,Hyatt Pinon Pointe,Wyndham Shearwater

PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep 2020 8:55 pm   

geist1223 wrote:
I would have been calling Owner Care last night or this morning.

If the Resort is having problems hiring House Keeping Staff than the GM should be cleaning rooms.

Definitely call Owner Care and share your experience. When you get the email after your stay, let them have it.

Remember, Worldmark has eliminated 1 night stays (supposedly temporary however I would wager it will be permanent) Blame this on Covid.

Worldmark, at least Depoe Bay and Gleneden, won't give any assurances as to when your room is ready. Are they still doing slotted check-ins? If the room is ready by 4pm consider yourself lucky. We didn't get in ours until after 7pm, even though I called 3:30pm and they said come between 4pm and 4:30pm. Blame this on Covid.

Worldmark now wants you out of your room at 10am. Blame this on Covid.

I was told after cleaning, no one can even enter the room for 30 minutes. Blame it on Covid.

Having problems hiring and keeping housekeeping staff? Why work when you can stay home and get paid to watch Jeopardy. Blame it on Covid.

A Seaside general manager cleaning rooms? :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep 2020 7:59 pm   

8675309 wrote:
geist1223 wrote:
I would have been calling Owner Care last night or this morning.

Definitely call Owner Care and share your experience. When you get the email after your stay, let them have it.

Remember, Worldmark has eliminated 1 night stays (supposedly temporary however I would wager it will be permanent) Blame this on Covid.

Worldmark, at least Depoe Bay and Gleneden, won't give any assurances as to when your room is ready. Are they still doing slotted check-ins? If the room is ready by 4pm consider yourself lucky. We didn't get in ours until after 7pm, even though I called 3:30pm and they said come between 4pm and 4:30pm. Blame this on Covid.

Worldmark now wants you out of your room at 10am. Blame this on Covid.

I was told after cleaning, no one can even enter the room for 30 minutes. Blame it on Covid.

Having problems hiring and keeping housekeeping staff? Why work when you can stay home and get paid to watch Jeopardy. Blame it on Covid.

A Seaside general manager cleaning rooms? :rofl:

I have definitely seen Seaside GMs and AGMs cleaning rooms and folding laundry. More often, they are manning "Rooms Control", which I nickname the "Situation Room".

/Jim

Jim Pappas
Portland, OR

I enthusiastically recommend voting for independent candidates
for the WM Board.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep 2020 9:17 am   

hockman4357 wrote:
I live in Roseburg, Oregon. The smoke has been horrible but the end is in sight. Gleneden should be fine next month. Enjoy!!!

Thank you for the update! :)