Register
It is currently Wed 20 Jan 2021 8:00 am

Who does the WMO support in the election.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019 6:58 am   

ecwinch wrote:
What would you want her - or even Myle if he had been elected to the BoD in her stead - to accomplish?

Maybe I used the wrong word in accomplish, Stand for may be more what I was getting at.

If there were a candidate that had the nuts to not only say they would, but actually vote against, make a protest vote, or ultimately resign the position rather than concede to the suppression then that's who gets my vote. As long as Wyndham can easily sweep any resistance under the rug and force us to believe they are the only way then yeah, nothing can be done.

I know and agree, a board member like this is powerless, and would be forced to go with whatever they vote or see ya. But at some point if we were successful in getting in the right board member every year then notice will be taken.

The harsh truth is that WMOWNERS at one point made a ripple but have failed at helping to elect and get word out for an independent board. Right now an independent board is hopeless. All it would take is the right group of individuals with legal knowledge, time, volunteers, and financial backing. Easy right? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019 5:59 pm   

benh7777 wrote:
Excuse my possible ignorance, but what are the obvious reasons that it should be Linda Hildebrant?

Strategy instead of emotion.

I do not see any difference between Linda Hildebrant in the election of 2017 versus Jon Gentile and Betsy Robinson in this election. They are all running as “truly independent” candidates.

In 2019, Linda H. is running as an independent Director with a 100% chance of being re-elected as the At-Large candidate. Does anyone doubt that the non-incumbents running for the Members-Only Directorship have a next-to-zero chance of being elected? The BOD split the undirected proxies 3-ways in the 2017 election, and Cecilia C. was re-elected. The BOD could split the undirected proxies 2-ways this year or vote all the proxies for Cecilia, and both Cecilia Cuevas and Linda Hildebrant would be re-elected.

Isn’t it a waste of undirected proxies to cast those votes for a candidate with little chance of winning? What would owners who trusted WMO with their undirected proxies want their proxy holder to do? Cast the votes for an independent candidate with little chance of winning, or cast the votes for an independent candidate with a 100% chance of winning, and try to influence that candidate?

I do not think it is too late to build a bridge to Linda H. by voting a significant block of votes for her. It would certainly make no difference in the outcome of the election to do so, so why not?

This election presents a once-in-a-lifetime, so far, chance for WMO to “help elect an independent Director” to the BOD by voting for Linda H. (Isn’t electing an independent Director the goal?) No worries about whether or not she will be at the annual meeting. Even if somehow personal matters prevent her attendance, she will still be re-elected by the undirected proxies from the BOD.

Maybe all this is too strategic and too much effort and too much organization. Maybe it is easier to just blindly vote the proxies entrusted by owners for an unknown, non-incumbent candidate who has little chance of election, then throw rotten tomatoes at any decisions the BOD renders in the next two years.

Last edited by 1nceBurned2wiceShy on Tue 10 Sep 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019 6:39 pm   

benh7777 wrote:
If there were a candidate that had the nuts to not only say they would, but actually vote against, make a protest vote, or ultimately resign the position rather than concede to the suppression then that's who gets my vote.

That kind of uncertainty is one scenario that could destroy the remaining value of WorldMark resales and turn it into just another $1 timeshare. Be careful what you wish (vote) for.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2019 9:42 am   

1nceBurned2wiceShy wrote:
Isn’t it a waste of undirected proxies to cast those votes for a candidate with little chance of winning? What would owners who trusted WMO with their undirected proxies want their proxy holder to do? Cast the votes for an independent candidate with little chance of winning, or cast the votes for an independent candidate with a 100% chance of winning, and try to influence that candidate?

I want to point out that this dilemma is the exactly the same one a candidate faces when elected. Faced with having to vote on an action you do not support - do you discard your ability to get some compromise on the proposed action by registering a protest vote, or use it to negotiate concessions.

Because if all you are going to do is protest every decision, at some point your fellow BoD members just tune you out, recognizing that you will never support anything. As the BoD has done to some degree in regard to the WMO voting block.

And then - why should anyone vote for you if it will just be a symbolic (but wasted) vote?

PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2019 4:22 pm   

If a Member of the BOD for WMTC resigns midterm there is not a special election. Guess you appoints the replacement? So what purpose would that serve?

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach, Reno, Discovery Bay. Spencer Street, Leavenworth, Melbourne.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Family Castle, Bali Hai, Dyserth Falls Resort, Haven Court, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife, Club Paihia, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants France, Royal Regency France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu, KBC, Hono Koa, Orleans at 519 Frenchmen Street, Cabo Azul, Modern Honolulu.
Newly planned and Reserved:

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019 4:20 pm   

ecwinch wrote:
1nceBurned2wiceShy wrote:

I want to point out that this dilemma is the exactly the same one a candidate faces when elected. Faced with having to vote on an action you do not support - do you discard your ability to get some compromise on the proposed action by registering a protest vote, or use it to negotiate concessions.

Because if all you are going to do is protest every decision, at some point your fellow BoD members just tune you out, recognizing that you will never support anything. As the BoD has done to some degree in regard to the WMO voting block.

And then - why should anyone vote for you if it will just be a symbolic (but wasted) vote?

Isn't all of our votes symbolic and ultimately wasted? Are you suggesting that if we vote for a current board member that our vote won't be wasted? :?

At least with a symbolic vote for opposition, while not having any obvious impact, will at least let WYN know that we are not all sheep and they are being watched.

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno, Havasu Dunes: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land, Park Royal Ixtapa

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019 6:45 pm   

"And this year, bonus, there is NO meet and greet beforehand! usually we do discuss with each candidate as they stand at the little tables prior to the meeting. The meeting starts at 9 am and registration starts at 8. NO TIME for discuss unless we do it right at 8 am."
So what we are seeing is Wyndham deciding to not perpetuate the charade that this is a "vote" not an "anointment". When you already know who will be "elected" and are fully aware of the script they will be directed to follow, why waste time?

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019 11:37 pm   

crystalpokorny wrote:
Some of us volunteers are still discussing.

I personally am leaning toward Betsy.

I think I might consider waiting until the speeches are heard.

Additionally, I've been to the annual meetings when someone running (or even more than one) never even bothered to show up.
I would sure hate to put out there that we should vote for someone, and then have that someone not even come!

And this year, bonus, there is NO meet and greet beforehand! usually we do discuss with each candidate as they stand at the little tables prior to the meeting. The meeting starts at 9 am and registration starts at 8. NO TIME for discuss unless we do it right at 8 am.

Crystal:

As far as I known from the posts on this board, WMO has faced this quandry a number of times in the past. The trend is that a candidate runs for a couple of years, decides to move on with their life. It is a challenging position and the odds are tough. To do it justice, you need to put in the time - as with any election where the odds are against you.

As I seem to recall (mad-cow disease and all) from the posts on this board, the initial election cycles were between Phil A and Jim Pappas. That is where we learned to not split the vote.

Then Marci was the candidate. This was against the backdrop fo the Wixon lawsuit.

Cecilia was appointed to the BoD after the resignation of Gene Hensley, in accordance with the terms of the Wixon settlement.

In the following election cycle, no WMO candidate emerged, and WMO split the proxies amongst the candidates with no affiliation to Wyndham.

Matt ran for a number of years, followed by David Moody. David had some computer snafu that prevented him from meeting certain filing deadlines to be a candidate, and WMO then endorsed Myle Hammond.

Perhaps it is time to just pick one of the volunteers and nominate them from the floor, and vote for them. And I vote for Gary or DenMar.

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019 11:39 pm   

DenMar wrote:
At least with a symbolic vote for opposition, while not having any obvious impact, will at least let WYN know that we are not all sheep and they are being watched.

Great.

Has this “watching” over the years accomplished anything?

We all witnessed the change to Grouped Reservations. Was anyone representing the voting power of WMO at any of these meetings? The change has increased availability for all owners at 13 months. This was documented in detail when the change took effect in 2016.

No one was watching at the meeting when the 2X in-and-out assigned credit limitation and the non-transferability of HK tokens occurred. Even if someone from WMO was there to do something other than watch, would it have made a difference? There is no question that this change created more availability for owners.

Owners could only “watch” when the Guest Certificate guideline was introduced. This has created more availability for owners. Does WMO oppose increased availability for owners at the expense of non-owners?

Blindly casting ineffective votes only for the sake of symbolism or so that the BOD “knows they are being watched” (which amounts to nothing) is a complete waste of voting power.

PostPosted: Tue 17 Sep 2019 8:33 am   

While I agree with some of your points Shy, the reality is that the BoD will only really understand action.

And the only meaningful action I can think of is putting the guest cert decision to a vote of the members aka a by-law amendment that reduces the impact of GC's on family member usage.