Register
It is currently Wed 20 Jan 2021 8:28 am

VACATION RECIPES

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010 9:01 pm   

THE MIKIE

one pack peppered canadian bacon, cut into squares
3 ripe tomatillos, sliced into very thin wedges
one sweet onion, chopped
1/2 bag southwest style hashbrowns, i prefer shredded obrien
6 eggs
1/2 c of grated pepperjack or sharp cheddar cheese
1 t olive oil
1 t tabasco or tapatio
2 splash Worcestershire
t of fresh minced garlic
pinch of salt

This is my signature breakfast dish, also if you eat it prior to a rd of golf, walking, you will keep GREAT energy.... :)

get a good size pan

heat to 6 or 7 on the stove, toss in the oil as it heats, getting the pan ready

toss in the hashbrowns and get them 80% done and add the onion and garlic, heat another 5 minutes and add tomatillos and canadian bacon

finally, scramble the eggs with the red sauce of choice, worc and pour atop the hash, salt to taste and stir until the scramble is complete...add cheese at the end

Then

Wake up Dougie, proclaim that you are "the scrabmlenator" do a chestbump and hit the links....

enjoy, :wink:

serves 3-4 people

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010 9:40 pm   

It would be great to have a depository for recipes. Preferably things that could be prepared within the confines of most WM resorts.

Remember the Cookbook…i.e., Carol Ann’s? … on the (now defunct, I presume) WordMark 4M?

Is this where we should/would post 'em?

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2010 7:15 pm   

Korean Crab Stew (adapted from The Korean Kitchen by Copeland Marks found on the internet)
when vacationing on the coast

In a pan, mix together, bring to boil and cook on low for 10 minutes:
1 Tbs minced garlic (or garlic powder to taste)
2 Tbs soy sauce (or salt to taste)
2 Tsp chili powder or paste
1/2 Tsp pepper
1 small chopped onion (or 1 Tsp onion powder or 1 Tbs flakes)
1 Tbs Miso
2 C water

Add, cover pan and cook on medium for another 10 minutes:
1 lb ocean crab
1 zucchini cubed
2 Jalapenos chopped
3 scallions or green onions

Remove from heat, let stand for 10 minutes before serving with rice and salad

WM: Eagle Crest, Wolf Creek, Steamboat Springs, LOTO; Clear Lake; Birch Bay; Whistler; Kapaa; LV Blvd; Running Y; Kingston Reef; Coral Baja; Depoe Bay; Gleneden; Schooner Landing; Kona; Seaside; Camlin; Wyndham Beachwalk Waikiki; Dolphin Cove; Indio; Oceanside Harbor; Camlin; Bend 7th Mountain; Angels Camp; Portland, Reunion
Exchanges: Playa del Carmen; Lehigh Acres; Royal Caribbean to AK through Inside Passage, Marriott Ko Olina, Riviera Maya Grand Luxxe, Riviera Maya Grand Mayan, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2010 9:19 pm   

wanderwoman wrote:
Korean Crab Stew (adapted from The Korean Kitchen by Copeland Marks found on the internet)
when vacationing on the coast

In a pan, mix together, bring to boil and cook on low for 10 minutes:
1 Tbs minced garlic (or garlic powder to taste)
2 Tbs soy sauce (or salt to taste)
2 Tsp chili powder or paste
1/2 Tsp pepper
1 small chopped onion (or 1 Tsp onion powder or 1 Tbs flakes)
1 Tbs Miso
2 C water

Add, cover pan and cook on medium for another 10 minutes:
1 lb ocean crab
1 zucchini cubed
2 Jalapenos chopped
3 scallions or green onions

Remove from heat, let stand for 10 minutes before serving with rice and salad

Sounds good...with kimchie served on the side.

I'm thinking...this might be red Miso paste, and the"1 lb ocean crab" might be cracked Dungeness crab thrown in? i.e. a pound of crab meat would be a different flavor, texture (and expense) compared to a pound of cracked crab.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug 2010 8:10 am   

TahoeGary wrote:
Sounds good...with kimchie served on the side.

I'm thinking...this might be red Miso paste, and the"1 lb ocean crab" might be cracked Dungeness crab thrown in? i.e. a pound of crab meat would be a different flavor, texture (and expense) compared to a pound of cracked crab.

Yes, I used Red Miso Paste, although the recipe was not specific. And it simply stated "flaked crab", although I used a couple handfuls of freshly boiled, picked Dungeness crab, but throwing in a couple legs and a claw sounds great.
Japanese Rock Crab are plentiful and would suffice. The cook could use what ever is at hand. In fact, I can see substituting chucks of rockfish or chicken for crab.

Because my DH is in crabbing/fishing mode, he's been returning with 12 big males caught just outside the jetty jaws; so we've been seeking new ways to use them.

WM: Eagle Crest, Wolf Creek, Steamboat Springs, LOTO; Clear Lake; Birch Bay; Whistler; Kapaa; LV Blvd; Running Y; Kingston Reef; Coral Baja; Depoe Bay; Gleneden; Schooner Landing; Kona; Seaside; Camlin; Wyndham Beachwalk Waikiki; Dolphin Cove; Indio; Oceanside Harbor; Camlin; Bend 7th Mountain; Angels Camp; Portland, Reunion
Exchanges: Playa del Carmen; Lehigh Acres; Royal Caribbean to AK through Inside Passage, Marriott Ko Olina, Riviera Maya Grand Luxxe, Riviera Maya Grand Mayan, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep 2010 2:44 pm   

Lots of Chanterelles already!

First: parboil small specimens; place in container(s) with 1 or more cloves of garlic, 1 or more dried red peppers and 5 peppercorns in each container/jar.

Mix, boil then simmer to release flavors:
4 C cider vinegar
3-4 C water
1/2 C sugar
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp mustard seed
1 Tsp celery seed
1 Tsp mustard powder
1 bay leaf
1 Tsp ginger powder
3 Tsp dill weed or fresh dill sprig
20+ peppercorns
5 dried hot red peppers or 3 Tsp of chili paste
1 pealed knob of fresh ginger sliced or cubed
5 big cloves garlic sliced
1 bunch of green onion tips (first 2") sliced

Pour while HOT over chanterelles; keep in fridge. mmmmmmmm!

Recipe can be altered to your taste (I happened to have these ingredients on hand)
Canning: prewash jars in DW then can in canner- check internet or canning instructions for appropriate time.

PS: I bet you could use packets of seasonings from your WM kitchen

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010 1:54 pm   

Do you pick your own mushrooms, or do you get them at the fresh market?

WM visits: San Diego Mission Valley x15, San Diego Downtown x2, San Diego Inn at the Park x2, Oceanside Harbor x3, Anaheim x3, Branson x1, Big Bear x1, Bass Lake x1, Bison Ranch x2, Santa Fe x3, Grand Lake x10, New Orleans x2.

RCI Exchgs: Santa Fe x1, France x1, San Diego Gaslamp Dist x1

II Exchgs: Ireland x2, Scotland x1

Non-exchg foreign trvl: Italy x1, England x2, Wales x1, Mex x can't count, Vancouver BC Canada x1

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010 11:07 pm   

pfilipelli wrote:
Do you pick your own mushrooms, or do you get them at the fresh market?

Pick our own! they are everywhere under conifers in the moss, and can be under alders as well. Maybe under other trees for all I know. Problem is that you need access. Use forest service roads.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010 8:29 am   

Here's a link to a very well researched tempura batter for shrimp, the instructions in detail, and a very wonderful dipping sauce that involves mirin, which I am having difficulty finding in my local Oklahoma grocery stores. ](*,)

http://annies-eats.com/2010/04/19/shrimp-tempura/

Check it out! It's not handy for making in our resorts because of the quantity of oil and specialized ingredients. But, for home, I think it's great. \:D/

Let me know if you make it, if you changed anything, and what you think of the recipe. :wave:

WM visits: San Diego Mission Valley x15, San Diego Downtown x2, San Diego Inn at the Park x2, Oceanside Harbor x3, Anaheim x3, Branson x1, Big Bear x1, Bass Lake x1, Bison Ranch x2, Santa Fe x3, Grand Lake x10, New Orleans x2.

Non-exchg foreign trvl: Italy x1, England x2, Wales x1, Mex x can't count, Vancouver BC Canada x1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010 11:48 am   

For the Holidays . . . and it should be easy enough to make in our WM kitchens. You might want to flavor some sugar with a vanilla bean ahead of time and bring the 1 1/2 cups with you. The rest, you can get at any local grocer. We have cinnamon in our cabinets at all WMs.
SOPAPILLA CAKE

2 cans Pillsbury crescent rolls (not store brand!)
2-8 oz pkgs cream cheese
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter
½ c sugar
Cinnamon

Spread 1 can crescent rolls flat in bottom of 13 x 9 in pan. Combine cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Spread mixture over crescent rolls. Spread remaining crescent rolls over mixture. Melt butter and pour over top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. Let cool completely.

-----

The following pie recipe is from my grandmother's (born 1909) hand-written recipe I found after she died and I was cleaning out her cookbooks. For those of you who do not know, oleo is margarine just without the yellow food coloring. This pie sounds perfect for making on a WM vacation. Mix it all in a blender and sprinkle coconut on top. If you buy a small box of Bisquick for this, you can have pancakes a couple of mornings, too!

AMAZING COCONUT PIE

2 cups milk
¼ cup oleo
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
4 eggs
½ cup biscuit mix
1 1/3 cups Bakers Angel Flake Coconut

Mix in blender all except coconut for 3 minutes on low speed.
Pour into greased pie plate and let set for 5 minutes.

Add coconut to top and bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
If coconut is getting too brown put a piece of foil on top of pie and finish baking.
May be eaten warm or cold.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010 12:10 pm   

I was at a Pizza restaurant the other day and they had water and ice in a pitcher with the following:

2 thin 1/8"? slices of
lemon
orange
red apple
green apple

It looked spring like and gave a nice hint of fruit.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Estancia, Indio, Las Vegas Spencer, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), San Francisco, Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (3) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta (2), Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(4), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Northstar Lodge(6) Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resorts North and South RCI: DVC Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010 2:41 pm   

atom wrote:
I was at a Pizza restaurant the other day and they had water and ice in a pitcher with the following:

2 thin 1/8"? slices of
lemon
orange
red apple
green apple

It looked spring like and gave a nice hint of fruit.

I think that is common in some European countries, like Italy or Spain. It's certainly nice.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec 2010 8:50 pm   

atom wrote:
This recipe is great. I am going to make it Sunday at Windsor again.

Just made Southwest Oven Omelet for five girlfriends at South Shore -- they all loved it!!

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011 12:12 pm   

I'm tired of reading about the law suit and opt out letters and all the WM drama for now.

If you have found a great, easy chicken recipe to make on vacation using our WorldMark resort kitchens and bar-bq grills, please post them here.

I'm especially looking for a good bone-in chicken recipe for the grill. How do you get such an off-balance thing as a raw chicken breast with ribs to cook evenly, without being burnt and raw at the same time, and taste good? =P~

I'd also like your favorite sauce recipes, sides, breads, and beverage ideas for at the resort.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul 2011 1:13 pm   

Bulgogi (Korean BBQd Beef)

Ingredients

2 pounds lean beef tenderloin
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
3 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted and ground
1 tablespoon sesame oil

Preparation

MARINADE: Cut meat across the grain into very thin slices and then narrow strips. Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, pepper or chili, sesame seeds and green onions. Marinate beef at least 3 hours, refrigerated. Remove beef from the marinade. Cook to desired doneness.

To pan fry, place a few slices of beef in single layers and completely flat on a hot oiled frying pan and fry each side until cooked. Some people prefer to cook the bulgogi until some of the edges have turned dark brown and crispy. Serve with a bowl of hot rice. Enjoy! =P~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next